The last two presidential elections did not inspire my confidence in Ohio's version of the free and fair franchise. I don't feel this way because my candidates of choice lost; I feel this way because I think they probably won. I am not prone to conspiracy theories, but I can't dismiss a greater plan to disenfranchise: hanging chads in 2000, the touch screen debacles in 2004, long lines both years, etc . . .
In the primary election last spring, a BOE poll worker actually inspected my ballot. She opened it up, read my vote, detached the portion that was supposed to stay attached (I found out later), and then put it who knows where. Believe me, I love going to the polls on election day to commune with my fellow voters -- to get that sticker, but I decided not to risk it this year.
In 2008, I voted as safely, securely and tamper-resistantly as I know how. I requested my ballot by mail and filled it with leisure at my kitchen table with the help of the League of Women Voters. Today I delivered it in person to the Cuyahoga County Board of Elections and dropped it in the locked, blue ballot box myself.
10/7/08
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It is up to all of the constituents to do what we can to ensure that the proverbial phrase "each vote counts" continues to ring true as it is the Keystone of our democracy. However it is unfortunate "democracy" has been tainted is past elections.
Post a Comment